The site of the hotel is the compound of the former British Consulate in Chiang Mai, within which the main consulate building, dating from the 1920s, has been retained and integrated within the hotel. The design intention was to combine a city location with the atmosphere of a resort hotel, together with the integration of the existing colonial house, site and hotel using a contemporary interpretation of traditional Thai materials.
The hotel building consists of guest rooms on four storeys in an L-shape formed around a large courtyard and facing the river. The external façade of the rooms, facing the courtyard, are lined with teak panels in a pattern suggestive of the style found in traditional Thai construction.
The 52 guest rooms and 32 the Kasara Suites are reached from shaded external corridors that run around the street and side of the hotel. The façade facing the street consists of a dense vertical timber screen allowing for privacy and weather protection. The screen and corridor form a buffer zone from the outside environment and create privacy for the guest rooms, which face towards the landscaped courtyard areas and towards the river.
The entrance to each room is through an external private courtyard, which allows light into the guest rooms and represents Asian traditional lifestyle. In the guest rooms, dark timber floors, hand-made red wall tiles, terrazzo plinths and teak and rattan furniture give a sense of traditional Thai design through the use of local materials in a contemporary form. Natural light is brought into the bathrooms through translucent glass that faces onto the private courtyard. In each bathroom a sliding screen in front of the free-standing bath can be opened-up to the room. All rooms have a large balcony facing towards the garden and river.
- The Spa, located adjacent to the swimming pool, includes 10 private, contemporary Asian-style spa suites with steam showers and terrazzo bathtubs. The deluxe double spa suites are equipped with herbal steam rooms, aromatic sauna and terrazzo bathtubs.
- The Pool overlooks the Mae Ping River. Pool towels are available from pool attendants. Light snacks and beverages are available throughout the day.
- Situated in a free standing, colonial wooden building circa 1913 that once housed the British Consulate, The Restaurant offers a choice of Thai, Indian and International cuisine. The restaurant, which has both indoor and outdoor dining facilities, allows the choice of air-conditioned dining rooms with traditional or contemporary style settings. Outdoor dining facilities consist of terrace or veranda seating with scenic views over the Mae Ping River and the mountains beyond. Traditional afternoon tea is served daily.
- The Boutique offers a wide selection of arts and handicrafts sourced from various locations throughout Asia.
- The Health Club. With natural daylight and views of the Mae Ping River, The Health Club, located on the second floor, offers a wide choice of equipment ranging from resistance training, cardiovascular and free weights as well as a separate aerobic room.
- The Terrace Bar & Cigar Lounge located on the second floor of The Restaurant, offers a relaxed atmosphere with casual day-bed seating and panoramic views of the Mae Ping River. A variety of beverages are available, including champagnes, wines and cocktails and an extensive cigar selection.
- The Bar located on the ground floor of the original colonial building, is an ideal setting for pre-dinner drinks. Here you can find a variety of champagnes, wines and cocktails.
- The Lobby Lounge is ideal to enjoy a wide variety of beverages in a relaxed atmosphere. With its open fireplace, the Lobby Lounge is perfect for reading or watching Chiang Mai passing by.
- The Meeting Room (55 sqm) features floor-to-ceiling window access onto the open air terrace and a boardroom (17 sqm) available for small meeting groups.
- The hotel is able to accommodate guests on wheelchair.
- Wireless connection is complimentary throughout the hotel.
Contact the Anantara Chiang Mai Resort & Spa
The Anantara Chiang Mai Resort & Spa
123-123/1 Charoen Prathet Road,
Chiang Mai 50100
Tel +66(0) 53 253 333
Fax +66(0) 53 253 352