Water comes into play almost from the beginning, at the testing par-5 second, a downhiller from the tee but an uphiller from the fairway. Players must avoid the pond on the right off the tee – and then the creek that crosses the fairway about 40 yards short of the green – to get off to a good start.
The par-5 18th makes for a dramatic closing hole. It plays severely uphill to a green protected by several deep-faced bunkers, just below the clubhouse restaurant’s expansive dining terrace – the perfect perch from which to watch golfers close out their rounds.
- Named best course in Thailand and top championship course in Asia Pacific at the annual Asian Golf Monthly awards November 2011.
- Named best course in Thailand at the Asian Golf Monthly awards 201s.
- The first course in Thailand to be included in the prestigious US Golf Digest list of the Best 100 Courses Outside the United States, 2012.
- GETTING THERE: About 20 minutes by car due west from downtown Hua Hin.
- STAR SPOKESMEN: Black Mountain is home to Johan Edfors. The European Tour star bought a villa there after his win in the 2009 Black Mountain Masters. Black Mountain has also been a major sponsor of Thai star Thongchai Jaidee, the most accomplished Asian Tour player of all time. Other star players representing Black Mountain on tour are Simon Khan, Mikko Ilonen, Simon Yates and Chris Rodgers.
- THE REAL DEAL(S): Even the restaurant is all about the best – it imports salmon from Norway and steak from Australia and New Zealand.
Contact Black Mountain Golf Club
Black Mountain Golf Club, Hua Hin
565 Moo 7
Nong Hieng Road
Hin Lek Fai
Tel +66(0) 32 618 666-7
Fax +66(0) 32 618 628